We are located at:
71 Talbot Street
21 Car Parking Spaces
3 Mobility Spaces
Access for wheel Chairs throughout the facility
Open 7 days
Monday - Sunday
8:30am - 4:30pm
Call Direct : +64 3 693 9727
Bee Awareness Month
Bee Aware Month
September is Bee Awareness Month - run and organised by Apiculture New Zealand. We are on board in our Foodstore & Eatery - as we have strong local connections to bees with our Creamed Honey!
Fun Facts About Bees you might not know!
Bees can travel up to 24km/hr - which is pretty fast for a small animal!
A honey bee must visit about 4 million flowers to produce 1kg of honey
The honey bee beats it's wings 11,400 times per minute - it's so fast that you hear a buzz.
Bee Aware - Recipe: Blackcurrant, Honey, Caramel Yogurt Pops
Recipe created for us by Martyna, The Wholesome Cook
- Place honey or rice syrup and cream in a small saucepan, whisk to combine and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 6 minutes for the syrup to caramelize and reduce.
- Turn off the heat – the caramel will be very hot. Stand it for 5 minutes before adding Lite Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant fruit syrup and whisking to combine. Place saucepan in a sink filled with cold water and allow to cool completely. To speed up the cooling process, after about 10 minutes, you can transfer the caramel into a heat-proof jug or jar and place back in the water. Whisk occasionally to prevent ‘skin’ from forming.
- Once the caramel is cool, you can assemble the ice pops.
- Mix vanilla essence, if using into the yoghurt. Take half the yoghurt mixture and fill moulds to about halfway. Now add a tablespoon of the blackcurrant caramel and gently mix it into the yoghurt with a paddle pop stick to create a ripple. Top with remaining yoghurt and another half a tablespoon of caramel and mix to incorporate the caramel into the layer. Slide paddle pop sticks into the ice pops and place them in the freezer for 4 hours to set.
- To serve, run moulds under warm water for a moment to help dislodge the pops. Keep pops in the mould or transfer to a zip lock bag and consume within a month.
Apiculture New Zealand have created and developed a Bee Awareness month workbook - perfect activities for kids! We also have some printed in-store as well!
Make sure to pick up some of beautiful Creamed Honey when you are next in-store!